Monday, July 1, 2024

Taking Flight, Part Two: Grading the Rest of the NY Jets Draft Picks

  

Malachi Corley. Photo Credit: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images.



Blogger's Note: Normally, I have my Jets draft analysis done no more than a day after the draft, but life gets in the way sometimes, and I wanted to finish what I started as I do every year, so here I am with my analysis and grades for the Jets Day Two picks and their draft overall.


Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky 

They didn't have a second round pick due to the trade with the Packers last year to get Aaron Rodgers, so their first pick of Day Two was Malachi Corley from Western Kentucky.

Even with the signing of Mike Williams, I thought the Jets still needed to address this position. He has drawn comparisons to Deebo Samuel, and from what I've seen, I can see why.

He's around the same size, not the fastest player, but he knows how to get open, and he has the same running back mentality after the catch.

He wasn't as popular as some of the receivers picked before him, but I think the Jets got a steal with this pick. I think he will productive from Day One.

Grade: A


Photo Credit: Joe Fisher/Getty Images.

Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin 

Listed at 6-1, 235 pounds, Braelon is a monster of a running back who punishes defenses with his size and power, but the scary part is he's more nimble than he looks. He wasn't used in the receiving game that much, but he did have a career high 28 catches in his final year at Wisconsin.

I like the talent of the prospect, particularly the idea of him and Breece Hall mauling defenses for years to come, but this and the draft pick after next makes me wonder where they stand with Izzy Abandikanda.

Grade: A-


Photo Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck/USA Today Sports.

Jordan Travis, QB, Florida State 

The first of the Jets three fifth round picks, Jordan was my favorite pick of their draft. He was who I wanted as an heir apparent to lead the Jets into the future.

He has a smooth, effortless way he plays; he has poise, he's accurate, he can beat you from the pocket as well as with his legs. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but he can make the throws that are needed.

I think he would've been at least a third round pick if it wasn't for his injury. I think he's in a perfect situation: he gets to sit behind Rodgers and Tyrod Taylor for a year or so, which gives him time to learn and develop, and recover from his injury.

Grade: A+


Photo Credit: Chris Leduc/Icon Sports wire via Getty Images.

A big, physical, punishing running back like Braelon Allen, although still not as big as Allen, I found this pick to be a head-scratcher.

I like the talent--from what I've seen, he reminds me of Jordan Howard, but a little more shifty--but I don't like the pick. In other words, they could've addressed another need with that pick.

Grade: C


Dan Hamilton/USA Today Sports.

Qwan'tez Stiggers, CB, CFL

Qwan'tez is an inspiring story of a player who didn't play college football, choosing instead to play in the CFL, and was drafted.

From what I've seen of him, he seems to excel in zone coverage, particularly deep zone coverage, which makes him good fit for Robert Saleh's Cover 3 defense.

The defensive backfield is deep, but in one sense, you can never have enough defensive backs with most of the league being pass-happy.

Grade: B




Jaylen Key, Safety, Alabama 


This year's Mr. Irrelevant, Jaylen was the Jets last pick of the draft as well as the very last pick of this year's draft.

From what I've gathered, he seems to be a player who is at his best moving laterally, and doesn't have much range moving sideline to sideline.

With some uncertainty at the safety position, he has a chance to make the roster or if nothing else be a contributor on special teams.

Grade: C+


Overall, I think the Jets first two picks weren't "popular" picks, but were smart picks. I view Olu Fashanu as a draft-and-stash, who will learn the ropes from All-Pro Tyron Smith, with the upside to play right away in case of an injury.

Malachi Corley can contribute right away and help make the passing attack formidable. My favorite pick was Jordan Travis. I think he has a high ceiling, and as I mentioned before, he's in a perfect situation and he doesn't have to be rushed out there.

I understand the Braelon Allen pick to a degree, with the jury being out on Izzy Abandikanda due to him being injured most of last season, but drafting Davis makes me wonder where they stand with him.

Stiggers and Key could be special teams contributors, but it's possible one or both could see time on the field with a mostly pass-happy league.

I was okay with this draft; Fashanu, Corley, Allen, and Travis stood out to me, but it would've been better if they, for example, picked a linebacker or maybe another offensive lineman instead of a second running back.

Overall Grade: B





































No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Flight, Part Two: Grading the Rest of the NY Jets Draft Picks

   Malachi Corley. Photo Credit: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images . Blogger's Note: Normally, I have my Jets draft analysis...