Sunday, August 27, 2023

Why I Have Mixed Thoughts on the Jets Signing Dalvin Cook

 

Dalvin Cook. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Becker/USA Today Sports.



Of course, there's a lot of buzz going on--and the expectations just went up a few more octanes-- after the Jets announced the signing of Dalvin Cook about two weeks ago. The hoopla is understandable. He's, in my opinion, one of the top running backs in the league, and a four-time Pro Bowler.

I must admit, Dalvin being in a Jets uniform is almost surreal. I mean, there has been speculation about him possibly signing with the Jets for months, but (Jets GM) Joe Douglas made it happen.

Yet, with all of this, although it's a one-year deal, I have mixed thoughts on the signing. Talent wise, I love having Cook on the team, but there's Breece Hall, who was having an Offensive Rookie of the Year season before his injury last year, returning from the PUP after being put on the list a day earlier--that was fast--and I like the addition of 5th round pick Izzy Abanikanda. He was a monster at Pittsburgh, and I like what I've seen from him so far this preseason.

If Michael Carter can return to his rookie form or better, I don't know what happened to him last year, and with Zonovan Knight showing flashes, one, I wanted to see what these young guys can do--well, younger guys, Dalvin is 28--two, this makes the running back room is seriously crowded. There's not enough room for all of them.

At the end of the day, the deal is done, Dalvin Cook is on board, and it's a big-time addition. Let's make it happen!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Flight, Part Two: Grading the Rest of the NY Jets Draft Picks

   Malachi Corley. Photo Credit: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images . Blogger's Note: Normally, I have my Jets draft analysis...