Tuesday, June 4, 2019

My Choice for the Jets GM Job

Ozzie Newsome. Photo Credit: USA Today Sports.

As the Jets continue their search for a general manager, interviewing four out of the five candidates this past weekend. First, they interviewed the Seattle Seahawks' Co-Director of Player Personnel Scott Fitterer, the New Orleans Saints' Director of Pro Scouting Terry Fontenot, the Philadelphia Eagles' VP of Player Personnel Joe Douglas and finally, the Chicago Bears' Assistant Director of Player Personnel Champ Kelly from the Chicago Bears.

One of the candidates, George Paton of the Minnesota Vikings rejected the Jets request for an interview-- for the third time! They just don't get it, do they? Will they ever learn from dealing with Minnesota? This reminds me of that lame who keeps pursuing a woman who wants nothing to do with him. Leave that broad alone and find someone who wants to be on your team, so to speak. I try not to use choice words on this blog, so I'll give my advice to the Jets concerning him in an acronym: FTMF.

The favorite out of these candidates from the start has been Joe Douglas. He's familiar with Adam Gase, and from my understanding, he wants to run his own team. What I like about this candidate is aside from the familiarity with Gase, he comes from two stable organizations: currently Philadelphia and previously the Baltimore Ravens.

The Eagles won a championship two years ago, and they usually maintain a team that are contenders, as well as the Ravens. Assuming he's learned from the guys on those franchises, I like what he could possibly bring to the table.

Speaking of the Ravens, this brings me to the subject of this post. Needless to say I'm not a part of the recruiting/hiring process, but my personal favorite, if I could pick someone to manage the New York Jets, it would be former Ravens GM and current advisor Ozzie Newsome.

Ozzie Newsome (right), Lamar Jackson (left). AP Photo/Patrick Semansky.

Ozzie created a strong, stable, contending foundation in Baltimore. Most of his draft picks have been successful; Terrell Suggs, Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, Ed Reed and Haloti Ngata to name a few, and they won two Super Bowl titles under his watch. I'll admit, another reason is the fact that he's a brother, and while I'm for seeing people succeed in general, for me, it's extra special to see one of my own succeed.

I can hear the voices of certain people now: "Why everything has to be about race?" Screw you. Moving on, most would call this "wishful thinking," but hey, a brother can be optimistic, can't he? You never know.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Flight, Part Two: Grading the Rest of the NY Jets Draft Picks

   Malachi Corley. Photo Credit: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images . Blogger's Note: Normally, I have my Jets draft analysis...