Monday, January 4, 2021

Jamal Adams Was Right

Adam Gase. Photo Credit: Bill Kostroun.

Actually, I came to this conclusion back in Week 4 of the season when the Jets lost to the Denver Broncos with a third-string quarterback (Brett Rypien) who they just activated off the practice squad earlier that week. What was Jamal Adams right about, you ask? Well, back in July, the Jets traded the disgruntled safety--who is now playing for the Seattle Seahawks, I'm sure he's glad--for a few reasons, but his comments on Adam Gase not being the right coach to get the team to the promised land in an interview with the New York Daily News is what took the cake.

As it turned out, he was absolutely correct. In two seasons with the Jets, Adam Gase went 9-23, this year being particularly abysmal, finishing 2-14, which lead to his firing not long after their loss to the New England Patriots on Sunday. To be honest, when the head coach position became available in 2018, Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs, was the guy I was hoping they would've given a shot, but no, they listened to Peyton Manning and allowed him to convince them to hire Gase. I know Petyon has a name. I get it, but gee, not only was that a miss, that was a straight-up air ball.

Now, there's another opportunity for them to land Bieniemy, and hopefully, they get him this time around. Well, he's first on my list--he was in 2018, and he still is today. I like Bieniemy's hand in the development of Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who, to me, is the best quarterback if not the best player in the league. Of course, their head coach Andy Reid, a known quarterback guru, had a lot to do with it, but Bieniemy was also instrumental in the process. He has the respect of his players, which goes a long way to making it as a head coach. I'm not saying that hiring him is going to guarantee instant success, but I like the upside in this coaching prospect, so I'm hoping they at least give him a try.

 I can't speak for all Jets fans, but I gave this Gase experiment a shot. I was more than patient, but it didn't take long for me to realize that Jamal Adams was absolutely right about him--as far as his tenure in New York goes. Perhaps he goes somewhere else and eventually land a head coaching gig again, you never know, but I'm glad this nightmare here is over. I'm sure Jamal is somewhere in Seattle while he's prepping for his play-off debut against the Los Angeles Rams on Saturday, smiling--or laughing his can off. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Flight, Part Two: Grading the Rest of the NY Jets Draft Picks

   Malachi Corley. Photo Credit: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images . Blogger's Note: Normally, I have my Jets draft analysis...