Saturday, May 25, 2019

Instigation and Speculations: My Take on the NY Jets "Drama"

Adam Gase. AP Photo/Frank Franklin II.

Yes, I know I'm late to the party in terms of reporting it, I've been wanting to give my thoughts on the fiasco that has been going in the Jets front office, but I've been busy with projects of my own. That being said, unless you've been living under a rock, the Jets unexpectedly-- to us, anyway-- fired Mike Maccagnan, who was the General Manager of the team since 2015.

Honestly, I thought his job was in question after the season, but they (initially) decided to keep him. Then, during the draft, word went around that there was some rift between Maccagnan and Adam Gase, and that Maccagnan was on his way out of the door, both allegations at that time were denied.

Maccagnan's track record wasn't particularly impressive, especially when it came to drafting. His standouts so far are Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, and I think Sam Darnold and Chris Herndon has a high ceiling. Jordan Jenkins, Elijah McGuire and Lachlan Edwards has been decent. He tried to finish on a strong note, signing some notable free agents such as Le'Veon Bell and CJ Mosley, and trading for two-time Pro-Bowler Kelechi Osemele, but that apparently wasn't enough.

Now, I don't know about the "rift" between the former GM and head coach, but the latter became obviously true after Maccagnan was let go nearly two weeks ago. Going back to what I mentioned about his job security, it wasn't so much the fact that he was let go that surprised people, it was the timing of it.

Mike Maccagnan.

Most chimed in that it was a decision they could've made after the season ended, where they could've brought in someone and started the new season off in a different direction as far as the GM's vision in a coach, player, and team versus waiting a few weeks after the draft, where now you have to hire someone on the fly.

Gase, who was named the interim GM immediately afterwards, made his first move by trading Darron Lee to the Kansas City Chiefs for a measly sixth round pick. I understand that although he showed some signs in his last two seasons, particularly last season, he didn't quite live up to his expectations as a first round pick, I was thinking they could've at least got a fourth rounder for him. Gee!

On a side note, if the Chiefs are going back to a 4-3 as I'm expecting, I think Darron's better served in that formation as weakside linebacker, versus being an inside/middle linebacker. Darron was too small to play in the middle of the defense where he would have to take on extra blockers, which is why I say I think he would thrive in a defense where there's an extra lineman to protect him up front, if they place him in the middle in Kansas City. Again, I think he's better served as a Will linebacker. Of course, there are exceptions in terms of small inside linebackers thriving, such as the late, great Sam Mills, but I'm talking about Darron Lee here.

Anyway, back to the drama. This brings me to the title of this post. Since Maccagnan's firing, there has been all types of speculating and instigating such as Gase ingratiating CEO Chris Johnson to overthrow Maccagnan, Gase being against the signing of running back Le'Veon Bell, rumors about them possibly trading Bell.

I think the allegations, particularly about Bell, is nonsense. One of the speculations out there that I think has some merit is Gase not wanting to pay that much for a running back. Especially when you consider that running backs aren't as valued as they were 10-20 years ago. Very few teams emphasize a run-oriented game. However, I don't know anyone who wouldn't want a top-three back on his team.

Then, there was talk about Peyton Manning taking the GM position. Again, I could see where this would have some merit, seeing that Manning has looked out for Gase, putting in recommendations for him to land the head coaching jobs at Miami, and now New York. He's the reason Trevor Siemian is now a New York Jet. However, the chances of that happening were/are slim.

 People just need something to talk about. I mean, football season is approaching, but the Jets gave them some material for them amplify in the meantime. Hey, if I'm wrong about any of my take of this Jets "drama," I stand corrected, but unless any of this is confirmed, it's all speculation and instigation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Flight, Part Two: Grading the Rest of the NY Jets Draft Picks

   Malachi Corley. Photo Credit: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images . Blogger's Note: Normally, I have my Jets draft analysis...