Friday, April 26, 2019

Taking Flight: The Jets Draft Quinnen Williams

Quinnen Williams. Photo Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports.

On Thursday night, with the third overall pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, the New York Jets drafted defensive lineman Quinnen Williams from Alabama. Quinnen was ranked as one of the top prospects in the draft; he was the top prospect on some draft boards. From what I've watched, heard and read about him, I understand why he was considered a top three player prior to the draft.

Actually, it was a picture I saw that Leonard and Quinnen Williams took recently, which I will post at the end of this blog, that convinced me the Jets was going to pick him. Unless he was taken with the first or second pick, I had no doubt who the Jets would draft after seeing that picture.

He can play multiple positions on the interior, including nose tackle, which is amazing for a guy who weighs around 303 pounds-- an ideal nose guard is usually about 320 and above. As someone suggested, he could slide over to the nose position on passing downs, which is typically third down.

I won't say that I didn't want him, but prior to the draft, my sights was set on an edge rusher, which the Jets needed, but can still address later. This initially had me focused on two particular players-- then eventually one of them-- Josh Allen and Nick Bigot-- I mean-- Bosa. By the time the draft came around, my thoughts were although I'd prefer Allen, whose coverage skills I liked as well from what I saw, I would be good with them drafting Williams.

Speaking of Bosa, on a side note, I give a shout out to the San Francisco 49ers for drafting that cunt. I wanted to write a post on my thoughts of Bosa on my social commentary blog; even though the situation that I'm referring to is kind of old news, but since I've mentioned him, I'll go ahead and briefly speak on it. Look, whether I agree or disagree with someone, I acknowledge people are entitled to their opinion, but some things is some sucker sh*t, and that crap he posted a while back is an example of that. He may turn out to be a flop, pretty good, solid, or even become a Hall of Famer, I don't care. I'm just glad that bastard is not going to wear Gotham Green.

Anyway, although Quinnen is not the edge rusher I was looking for, he provides versatility as a pass rusher and being disruptive against run, and as he mentioned, it's the defensive lineman who set up the linebackers to make plays. A lot of people have compared him to Aaron Donald, but from what I've gathered, I also see Jay Ratliff.

Ratliff was a quick, undersized nose tackle who could dominate the line scrimmage and effectively rush the passer, which is rare (the pass rushing) for a guy playing that position. Personally, I want to see Quinnen blaze his own trail, but those comparisons tells you a lot about what this young man is capable of.

Overall, I love the pick. I love the explosive quickness and agility he has for a defensive lineman, the ability to shred double-- and at times-- triple teams, and his versatility. He's considered a rare player by some, and I can see why. I'm looking forward to seeing him, Leonard"Big Cat" Williams, and Henry Anderson wreaking havoc on the line this year, and many years to come.

Leonard Williams (left), Quinnen Williams (right)


Grade: A+




No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Flight, Part Two: Grading the Rest of the NY Jets Draft Picks

   Malachi Corley. Photo Credit: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images . Blogger's Note: Normally, I have my Jets draft analysis...