Friday, March 15, 2019

NYJ Flying High in Free Agency/ Mr. Good Barr

Le'Veon Bell (26), Anthony Barr (55)

About two years ago, I launched my blog entitled 747, a blog page dedicated to New York Jets sports. Being tied up with other blogs being one of the reasons, I decided to get rid of the blog. I considered bringing it back last off-season, but wound up not going through with it-- until today. My first post was going to be my evaluation of then-rookie quarterback Sam Darnold's performance last season, but after what took place shortly before NFL free agency/ NFL New Year, I decided instead that my first post will be an analysis on the New York Jets free agency, so far.

On a side note, before I start, I want to say I've been rocking with the NYJ since the early 90s. I don't remember which year exactly, but it was somewhere between 92-93, since the days of Ken O' Brien, Al Toon, Mo Lewis, and so on. I, along with other die-hards of the Jets have seen some wonderful moments such as the "Monday Night Miracle" against the Miami Dolphins, upsetting the New England Patriots in the 2010 playoffs, a part of one of their two straight AFC Championship game appearances, to enduring some embarrassing hardships, such as the "Butt Fumble," and the three straight double-digit losing seasons, two straight 5-11 seasons, and them going 4-12 last season. However, despite everything, I'm confident that great days are ahead, and I'll elaborate more on that in my Sam Darnold blog.

Anyway, last week, there was talk that the Jets were in serious pursuit of linebacker Anthony Barr, one of the top free agents and a well-rounded player who can cover, support against the run, and rush the passer when asked, so I was in favor of them signing him. Two days before free agency officially begun, Barr initially committed to a deal where he become a Jet once free agency started. I was excited and looking forward to landing quietly one of the best at his position, in my opinion.

Imagine my thoughts when I woke up Tuesday morning to see that he decided to burn the Jets and stay with the Vikings. Thursday, he gave some emotional, violin playing, soap opera, BS reason why he did it. It was like "marrying the wrong woman" according to him. Initially, I was irked, but then three things came to mind, the first two was not long after Barr's flip-flop, the other after reading his attempt to justify his actions: the first one was that everything happens for a reason; the second was realizing that his bait-and-switch could've possibly opened the door for them to sign running back and top free agent on most team boards, Le'Veon Bell, more that later. The third was if that's the way he felt, it was better that he stayed in Minnesota. I wouldn't want him in New York, knowing that's not where his heart was (violin playing) and not play his best ball.

All of this ties into the bulk and titles of this blog. The night after Anthony Barr's potentially unwittingly act of kindness, the Jets signed Le'Veon Bell, who is clearly a top two back in the league. Prior to that, they traded a 5th round pick for bruising offensive guard Kelechi Osemele, a Pro Bowler two out of his last three seasons along with a 6th round pick; they signed another highly coveted linebacker in C.J. Mosley, as well as a  pretty good receiver in Jamison Crowder. Yesterday, they brought in nickel back Brian Poole to replace Buster Skrine, who left for the Chicago Bears.

In addition, they retained versatile offensive lineman Jonathan Harrison and (thankfully) defensive lineman Henry Anderson and Steve McClendon, the former finishing last season with a career high 7 sacks. The two moves they made that left me scratching my head was letting kicker Jason Myers and return man Andre Roberts, both Pro Bowlers, walk away in free agency. The former signed with the Seattle Seahawks on $15 million deal, $7 million guaranteed. Way too much for a kicker in my opinion, so letting him walk left me scratching my head-- initially. They let the latter sign with the Buffalo Bills.

They struggled to find quality returners over the past few years, and Roberts was the best they had since Leon Washington and Brad Smith in the early 2000s, so I'm curious as to who they have in mind to replace him. They have replaced Myers with Chandler Catanzaro, who was a Jet a couple of years ago before leaving for the Buccaneers. I'm fine with this signing if Chandler can regain his form in his first season as a Jet.

Free Agency is still young, plus the draft is coming up next month, so there are plenty of moves the Jets could make between time. Back to Le'Veon Bell and Anthony Barr. As I mentioned earlier, Anthony "Barring" the Jets opened the door for them to sign Le'Veon Bell, whom safety Jamal Adams pushed heavily for, he might have a GM title in his future. Although they were in pursuit of him anyway, Barr walking away created more of an opportunity for them to do so.

This is a weapon of mass destruction for Darnold, along with other talents such as Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson, Jamison Crowder and Chris Herndon, who had a strong finish in the second half of his rookie season. If this turns out the way I'm envisioning, while there's a lot of people in New York verbally ripping Anthony Barr apart, they might be thanking him for his "good deed" later.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Flight, Part Two: Grading the Rest of the NY Jets Draft Picks

   Malachi Corley. Photo Credit: James Black/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images . Blogger's Note: Normally, I have my Jets draft analysis...